Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dual Coding Theory

This ad appeals to the senses because it contrasts red, black, and white and kind of draws you into the ad, causing you to want to know more about it.

It also activates the working memory because it causes you to pay attention to more than one thing at a time. You are trying to concentrate on the words, then you move to the image. I still really can't figure out what the image is. It has caused me to try to relate the image back to what the words are. I know it has something to do with sports but I can't tell exactly what. I then started to think about other Nike ads I have seen and it really causes me to think about Nike items that I own which in turn starts me to thinking about exercising. It is amazing the different directions that your mind can go.

In Educational Pyschology I learned that all of the experiences in your mind are called your schema and that they are all interrelated. The more that is in your schema, the more things you are able to relate to.

I have also heard that women are able to go in many more directions than men. Women can start thinking about one thing and relate it to something totally different. There is also a book about this called men are like waffles, men are like spaghetti! Very interesting I think. I also think that it would be interesting to see how men and women responded to this ad differently.

No comments: